Thursday 21 March 2013

Talisman: The deadly magic wand

Talisman is a great game, we can all agree on that one, but there is one problem with it, and that is the magic wand.

We had a guy in our group that always went for it, and would kill you to get at it. The problem with this was it was like giving him the Crown of Command in game. He would always have a full compliment of spells, and would burn through them to get the powerful spells.

Now I do see the point in the magic wand, and a lot of groups wont have players like that. The first time this happened was quite fun, but got old as EVERY game he would go for the wand. This led me to confiscating the card from the adventure deck. Some may say that was harsh, but the people who played with us agreed that it was the best course of action.

However, this card did lead to one of the greatest moments in this game I have ever played.

The wand had become the Crown of Command, and I was fed up of all the spells being thrown around. So I decided to take my Monk, and take the wand from him. I charged around the map, and finally landed on his square where I could challenge him to combat. Even with my unbuffed monk, (and I think a very lucky dice roll) I took the wand from his clutches, and fled. Straight to the alchemist.

Ill never forget the look on his face as the card was melted down, I got a gold for it, and it made its departure to the discard deck.

The bards sang about that day for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment