Tuesday 25 September 2012

Paper money in games: What do you think?

I have seen this debated many times over the internet on different forums and sites. Following is what I think, and is my own opinion.

I like paper money in games. Its tactile, and I think it makes it easier to see not only what you have yourself, but also what other people have at their disposal, at a glance. I admit that it can wear out and is prone to drink and food spillage, but that should not be a problem if you excersise a bit of care when you are gaming, after all these games can cost in excess of 40.00 each.

What are the alternatives to paper money? Well I see people arguing poker chips. They say you can buy a set of poker chips, and subtitute them in games where you use paper money. They are easier to stack, and less prone to damage. OK, I can see the benefits of not being easily damaged, especially if you game with excitable people. What I don't see is that for every game you need to give each chip a value, one that I could see people getting confused with how much each chip is valued at.

Along with poker chips, any other marker could be used, stones, beads, glass discs, you name it, it could be substituted.

Another option is what the makers of Monopoly went with, and that was to dispense with all money, and use fake plastic credit cards and a credit card machine. A nice gimmick, it can still be cheated however, and you have to use the card machine to even check how much you have. I found it got tiresome after a few games, and dislike how only one transaction at a time can be made.

Call me old fashioned, but I really like paper money. It been around in games for a long time, and fits themes nicely. I cannot imagine playing Railways of the World with poker chips, it just would not feel right to me. I can see the arguments from the side of practicality and durability, but the people that I play with are careful with games, especially if it is not their game.

What are you thoughts on this topic? Should paper money stay, or should we move with the times? Discuss in the comments below or over at our facebook page.

1 comment:

  1. i have always liked it, and i really don't buy in to the argument about it getting destroyed, in the loft we have bundles and bundles of cash from every monopoly game we have ever owned, all the other bits are long gone, the boards destroyed or damaged and so few houses left but the paper money remains

    if you had a game where hoarding the money was important and there is a chance that the bank may run dry then the loss of any notes might over time start to hamper your game play, but even with destination which we played a few weeks ago the level of cash is enough to payout each destination fare a few times over.

    nor do i buy in to the argument that its susceptible to damage, the cards in any of these games are laminated to withstand the handing of them and the shuffling, 2 actions that rarely happen with paper cash. its handed over, put down, picked up when its spent and handed back to someone else, that is the (with a few rare exceptions) limit of most games cash. You can argue water damage but as the board and other cards are just as at risk why hate on paper money and not on the whole lot being made out of plastic?

    ReplyDelete